bits of information on Psychodrama, Sociometry, Group Psychotherapy, associated subjects such as ro

bits of information on Psychodrama, Sociometry, Group Psychotherapy, associated subjects such as ro
From the Presentation: ACORNography: The Theories of J. L. Moreno and Others

Monday, November 30, 2020

Distant Socializing

My wife, Joann, heard a radio commentator say, “'Social distancing' is an incorrect term, it should be called 'distant socializing'”. A thoughtful comment and a clear definition. 

Isolation and the Isolate 
As we are learning to stay away from people to protect others and ourselves from the virus, some say we are isolating ourselves. "Isolation" is becoming a catchword. 

J.L. Moreno wrote a lot about our connections with others and explored that well with principles he named, Sociometry. He defined an isolate as someone who neither chooses nor is chosen by others. I would add that if we believe we are an isolate, then we are. There have been a few times in my life when I experienced that and it was miserable and depressing. Since learning Sociometry, I’ve been conscious to avoid being an isolate. 

The state of isolation may not be related to being an isolate as indicated by Moreno's definition. Perhaps distancing is a better word than isolation. 

As many of you, I miss communicating with others. The number and length of my calls are increasing. So is my email writing. We need to contact others to prevent them from becoming isolates. In so doing, we prevent ourselves from becoming isolates. We can call, write emails and letters, or use video communication for our acquaintances, friends, relatives, shut-ins, and clients. 

A while back, I received the following complete with string from Paul Lesnik that he says is an “unabashed infomercial”. I call it a gift.




No comments:

Post a Comment